Claims made by Shelbourne that Dundee United have already signed defender Sean Dillon are wrong, according to Craig Levein.
Dublin based newspaper – the Evening Echo – published a story on their website at 3:40pm on Tuesday which said “Shelbourne have completed the sale of Sean Dillon to Scottish Premier League side Dundee United for an undisclosed transfer fee.”
The Irish club had announced that a deal had been agreed between the two sides and that the 23-year-old joined Tannadice yesterday afternoon, but Levein has dismissed the claims.
“They have jumped the gun completely. We are talking to Shelbourne but we’re miles away from anything happening and I don’t know if it will,” Craig Levein told the Courier.
“I haven’t even spoken to the player or his agent and it could be he doesn’t want it.”
Levein went on a scouting trip to Dublin in November, to watch several players in the last match of the Eircom season, between Shelbourne and Bohemians.
Several players from that match have since been linked with a move to Tannadice, including striker Glenn Crowe, midfielder Joseph Ndo and 28-year old forward Jason Byrne.
One player that Levein definitely is speaking to is midfielder Grant Smith, who’s contract with Dundee United has just expired and he might be offered a longer deal with the club.
Grant (son of former Rangers player Gordon Smith) has made several appearances in the United 1st team over the past few weeks, including the 2-2 draw with Celtic(a) and the 3-1 win over Aberdeen(h).