Date: 1st August 2007 at 12:12am
Written by: Arab Foy

There were serious concerns among the Dundee United supporters at Starks Park, after Dundee United forgot to take a goalkeeper to Starks Park.

Polish goalkeeper Lukasz Zaluska broke a bone in his foot in the 3-0 friendly win over Airdrie, meaning that Craig Levein was only left with the inexperienced Euan McLean as cover.

Unfortunately, the 21-year-old keeper looked very shakey in the United goal and wasnt helped by the absence of Lee Wilkie from the centre of defence.

Against Airdrie, it was the aerial presences of Lee Wilkie and Darren Dods that played an important part in keeping the lower league team off the score sheet.

Although, Wilkie’s knee injury meant he could only manage a place on the bench and Euan McLean was left to command the penalty box on his own – something he struggled to do for most of the match.

However, things actually started positively for Dundee United when debutant Willo Flood opened the scoring with only a few minutes on the clock.

Youngster David Goodwillie progressed down the left wing, before cutting the ball back into the Raith Rovers penalty area.

Raith keeper Keiron Renton failed to hold onto the ball, giving Noel Hunt the chance to flick the ball to Flood, who tapped into the empty net from close range.

Raith Rovers werent impressed, because they believe the ball was out of play before Hunt played it back across goal – but the goal stood, 1-0 to Dundee United.

Within 4 minutes, Raith believed that justice had been restored, after former Dunfermline player Andy Todd levelled the score line.

Steven Hislop beat Stuart Duff down the right and managed to play a deep cross to the backpost, where Andy Todd managed to outjump 2 United defenders a head the ball back across goal, 1-1.

Dundee United should have taken the lead again after 15minutes, when Barry Robson’s cross was knocked down by Craig Conway, but Noel Hunt was judged to be offside when the ball hit the back of the net.

Raith Rovers took the lead just before half-time, after the United defence switched off at a corner kick, allowing Craig Winter`s to capitalise and blast the ball past McLean from about 8 yards.

Captain Barry Robson once again saved the day, when United were awarded a freekick 10minutes into the 2nd half, after defender Marvin Andrews appeared to push Noel Hunt.

Robson duly delighted the travelling support in the stand behind the goal by curling a low left-foot shot round the wall and inside the keeper`s right-hand post.

Robson stepped up and cooley curled a low freekick into the far right corner of Keiron Renton`s goal.

Darren Dods, Barry Robson and substitute Morgaro Gomis had chances to win the match for Dundee United, but Raith Rovers didnt deserve to be beaten, so a draw was probably a fair result.

Starting Line-up:
Euan McLean (GK), Sean Dillon (RB), Stuart Duff (LB), Garry Kenneth (CB), Darren Dods (CB), Willo Flood (RM), Craig Conway (LM), Prince Bauben (CM), Barry Robson (CM), David Goodwillie (CF), Noel Hunt (CF)

Full time:
Raith Rovers 2-2 Dundee United

Related Links
Vital Football:
Dundee United Site
Latest SPL News
Club Menu:
Arab News
Match Previews/Reports
Fixtures/League Tables
Match Stats
Arab Articles
Arab Polls
Arab Competitions
Arab Humour
Arab Songbook
Arab Facts
Arab Records
Dufc History
Trophy Cabinet
Managerial History
Away From Home
Squad Profiles
ArabFC Polls
Other Links
Arab Articles:
Welcome to ArabFC
A Lovely Shade Of Tangerine
The History Of The Tangerine
Why Are Utd Fans Called Arabs?
Contribute To ArabFC:
The Big Appeal
Suggest An Article
Suggest A Poll
Have Your Say:
Sign Up To ArabFC
Dundee United Forums
All SPL Forums