Date: 23rd January 2011 at 12:43am
Written by: Vital Arabs

Substitute Garry Kenneth crashed in a superb last-minute equaliser as nine-man Dundee United rescued a highly unlikely point against Kilmarnock at Rugby Park.

The visitors appeared set for defeat until Kenneth tried his luck from long distance and his tremendous strike flew past the helpless Cammy Bell. Conor Sammon had earlier grabbed his seventeenth goal of the season to earn the hosts the lead four minutes before the break.

Kilmarnock then had Alexei Eremenko sent-off for reacting to a Scott Robertson challenge early in the second-half. But any numerical advantage was soon lost as both Scott Robertson and skipper Jon Daly were dismissed within five minutes of one another.

Goalkeeper Dusan Pernis had been passed fit to play for the visitors and he soon watched Frazer Wright head wide from a corner after fine work from Eremenko, while Liam Kelly was also inaccurate at the far post.

Prince Buaben sliced a right-footed attempt behind in reply before Eremenko despatched a 25-yard effort narrowly wide at the opposite end, where Rui Miguel also called Pernis into action.

But it was the visitors going close just beyond the half-hour mark as leading scorer David Goodwillie struck the far post and Jamie Hamill cleared the loose ball off the line.

And after Kelly and Sammon had both threatened for the hosts, it was they who went ahead when Eremenko received Sammon’s pass and returned the compliment for the big Irish striker to drive into the net.

Following the interval Tom Clancy lifted a shot over for Killie before their numbers were reduced as main creative source Eremenko was dismissed. Both Scott Robertson and Daly were cautioned at the same time, which was ultimately to prove very costly for the visitors.

Despite their loss, Miguel soon blazed over after good work from goalscorer Sammon before Scott Robertson saw red for his challenge on Miguel. Five minutes later Daly followed after being adjudged to have led with an elbow against Sammon.

Kilmarnock could then have sealed it as Hammill struck an effort against an upright and Pernis halted Garry Hay from long distance.

The Taysiders responded with Goodwillie heading over a corner delivered by Barry Douglas, whose late free-kick was snatched by Bell.

But the home keeper could do nothing but admire substitute Kenneth’s equaliser as it sped past him in the final minute to secure a dramatic and very late point.

Kilmarnock: Bell, Clancy, Hay, Wright, Sissoko, Hamill, Kelly, Pascali, Rui Miguel (Taouil 88), Sammon, Eremenko

subs (unused): Jaakkola, Fowler, Berntsson, Silva, Kennedy, Gross

Goals: Sammon (41)

Dundee United: Pernis, Dillon, Watson, Daly, Douglas, Conway (Cadamarteri 64), S. Robertson, Buaben, Gomis (Armstrong 76), Goodwillie, Russell (Kenneth 70)

subs (unused): Banks, Smith, D. Robertson, Shala

Goals: Kenneth (90)

Ref: G. Salmond

Att: 5,120