Date: 19th May 2017 at 10:24pm
Written by: Vital Arabs

Dundee United are into the Scottish Premiership play-off final after Paul Dixon scored a late winner at Falkirk.

The hosts had moved in front following a 2-2 draw in the first game when James Craigen opened their account on eleven minutes.

But Simon Murray equalised with fourteen minutes remaining, and with extra-time appearing increasingly probable, left-back Dixon headed a dramatic second.

The Tangerines now play either Inverness Caledonian Thistle or Hamilton Academical for a place in the top division, with the first-leg at Tannadice next Thursday.

However, that had appeared much less of a prospect when Craigen soon drove low into the far corner from the edge of the area following good work between John Baird and Aaron Muirhead.

Thomas Mikkelsen was wide in reply on more than one occasion, and Murray couldn’t take advantage of Tony Andreu’s inviting set-up.

United thought they were level after the break when defender William Edjenguele’s eight-yard volley crashed against the underside of the crossbar and bounced down over the line. But Mikkelsen was incorrectly penalised for a non-existent shove.

On loan Andreu then missed a fine opportunity from an assist by Murray, who also had a header taken by Bairns goalkeeper Robbie Thomson.

Goalscorer Craigen was inches wide at the other end before Murray stole onto Blair Spittal’s flick on and calmly side-footed an equaliser past Thomson – directly in front of the celebrating away support.

And with three minutes remaining Alex Nicholls, who had replaced fellow substitute Scott Fraser, whipped in a cross from the right and Dixon appeared to push his marker as his deflected header bounced joyously into the far corner.

Falkirk: Thomson, Muirhead, Watson, Gasparotto, Leahy, Craigen (Hippolyte 79), McKee (Taiwo 54), Kerr, Sibbald, Baird (McHugh 61), Austin

subs (unused): Rogers, Kidd, Miller, Aird

Goals: Craigen (11)

Dundee United: Bell, Dillon, Durnan, Edjenguele, Dixon, Andreu, Kuate, Flood (Telfer 70), Spittal, Murray, Mikkelsen (Fraser 70, Nicholls 79)

subs (unused): Donaldson, Zwick, Robson, Allardice

Goals: Murray (76), Dixon (87)

Ref: K. Clancy

Att: 7,926